When the APPS examiner contacts you, they will fill you in on exactly what will be done during your appointment. The standard services that may be included in your exam are the following:
Paramedical Report (20 minutes)
- A questionnaire asking for complete medical history, family’s medical history, vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pulse - and for men only, chest measurements) and a urine specimen.
- You’ll need to provide your doctor’s name(s), address(es), and phone number(s). Also, the dates, reasons, and diagnosis for past visits to your doctor(s) within the last 5 years.
- You’ll also need to provide the dosage and duration of any medications you’re currently taking. You may want to consider bringing the bottles to your appointment.
Blood Sample (10 minutes)
- Blood will be drawn from your arm or finger as required by the insurer, Vantis Life Insurance Company. Only sterile, disposable needles and supplies are used. The blood sample will be sent to a lab designated by Vantis. Lab results will be sent directly to the underwriting department.
Electrocardiogram (15 minutes)
- Also known as an EKG or ECG, this is a painless procedure which requires electrodes to be places on bare skin on your chest, arms and lower legs. You’ll need to lie flat, in a relaxed position in a location without any large electrical appliances running. (Some appliances can cause distortions in the EKG tracings). Privacy will be required as you will need to partially disrobe.
Physician Exam (45 minutes)
- In addition to the elements in the paramedical report, the examiner will also perform a brief physical exam which will require you to partially disrobe. The parameters of this exam are defined by Vantis Life Insurance Company, and the examiner will let you know what these are when they call to confirm your appointment.
Treadmill EKG (60 minutes)
and X-rays (15-30 minutes)
- These are not mobile tests and therefore not a part of the exam for many applicants. If one is needed, APPS will help you make an appointment at a doctor’s office or clinic that’s convenient to you.
- In some instances, additional services may be requested or required by Vantis Life Insurance Company. If this is the case, the examiner will explain these when calling to confirm your appointment.
Please note that all information obtained during the exam is strictly confidential and your test results will be sent only to Vantis Life to be used in the underwriting process.