Here’s how to prepare for the health exam that the underwriting team uses to evaluate your life insurance application.
- Avoid smoking, caffeine and strenuous physical activity for approximately two hours before the exam.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and/or nasal decongestants for 24 hours prior to your exam.
- Wear a short-sleeved shirt or a shirt with sleeves that can be easily rolled up (the examiner will need to draw blood).
- If you require a large blood pressure cuff or a scale that exceeds 300 pounds, please tell the examiner when confirming your appointment or send us a support message.
- Drink a glass of water about an hour before the appointment (you may be asked to provide a urine sample).
- In some cases, you might need to fast in advance of your appointment, if a fasting blood profile is required. When the examiner calls to confirm your appointment, he or she will let you know if you need to do this. During the fast, you are allowed to drink water.
- If you’ve been advised not to fast due to medical reasons, please give APPS a call at 800-411-2777.
- Have your government-issued driver’s license or picture ID on hand. The examiner will ask to see it when he or she arrives.
Most importantly, try to relax for at least one hour before your exam. After all, you don’t want your blood pressure to skyrocket right before your appointment!
All information obtained during the exam is strictly confidential. Your test results will be sent only to the underwriting team to be used in the underwriting process.